5 Container Gardening Tips from Chère Bear
Tips to get you started for September gardening season in Louisiana.
- Make sure your containers have good drainage. If using grow bags, line the base with pebbles so the soil is raised off the ground, which aids in better drainage.
- Plan your container garden into 2 sections. Plant herbs like thyme, rosemary and chives in a sunny spot and salad herbs in a part shady spot.
- Use soil compost for container gardening to help moisture retention.
- Water containers early in the morning to ensure it can cope with afternoon heat.
- Invest in an organic pesticide like Neem oil.
Illustration: Dina Watson